This page contains a searchable database of information about courses that are run by BECTU for our members, including:
Courses for BECTU members who are union representatives or branch officers (these courses are free)
Vocational and professional development courses for BECTU members (there is a fee for these courses)
- Barbering Skills for Afro & Asian Hair, London - 2 Days
- Becoming a pension champion
- This course is a follow-on for those that have an existing knowledge of pensions or have completed our 'Understanding pensions' course.
- Creative Industries Safety Passport Health & Safety Course
- The Creative Industries Safety Passport is a one day Health & safety course designed for freelance and employed workers. It is a creative industries bespoke course.
- Defined Contribution Scheme Governance
- This course is provided for members and representatives who are interested in playing an active role in monitoring and improving the performance of their employer’s defined contribution pension scheme provider.
- Excel for Beginners
- This is the one of several IT courses, BECTU now run to cater for West End staff. This essential course will focus on Excel.
- Freelance Organising Day
- This rep's course is for Freelance members who wish to be active within their workplace and within their freelance branch. It will offer guidance on setting up a branch,running branch meetings, how to organise, recruit and campaign.
- How to be a Training Organiser
- This course is for members who are interested in promoting learning and training in their workplace and how BECTU can help to achieve this.
- How to use the BECTU Website - London workshop
This a half-day workshop to equip branch secretaries and branch webpage editors with the skills to fully use the new interactive BECTU website. It is a key part of our organising and communication strategy.
This workshop will be at BECTU head office.
- Introduction to Employment Law
- This short course gives an overview of employees’ legal rights, including contracts of employment, discrimination law, redundancy and unfair dismissal. The course aims to provide reps with a basic understanding of legal rights to assist them to advise members and to inform collective negotiations.
- Introduction to pensions
- This course introduces members to the details of workplace pension schemes and how they work. It is designed to help BECTU representatives begin to build their understanding of pensions so they can assist members with pension queries and participate actively in any discussions instigated by employers on proposals related to pensions.