Course description

SEO Made Simple – The Key to Being Found Online

It’s almost impossible to rank on Google for anything apart from your business or "trading as" name without some form of SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) strategy. Around 83% of all search engine traffic is driven by good SEO, with the remaining 17% from paid adverts. Research has found that ranking on search engines implies to the buyer that you’re a business or freelancer to be trusted, but how does it all work?

This workshop will examine both onsite and offsite SEO (and explain the differences), we will examine what makes a good linking strategy and the important role Social Media plays in SEO. We will also show you some free and simple tools that can be used to find out what your clients and customers are already searching for.

By the end of this workshop you will know:

  • What is Search Engine Optimisation and why it should matter to you and your work
  • How to learn simple statistics about your website
  • How to apply SEO techniques to your content 
  • Understand a range of tools to support your SEO implementation 

This workshop is suitable for those who have previously attended the "Website in a Day" or those who have a website they can log in and edit/update themselves but want to learn what next to get ahead of their competition.

Tutor: Liz Hardwick

Biog: Liz has a strong background in digital technology, in particular Digital Storytelling and getting participants to tell their stories with a variety of multi-media technologies - that could be social media, audio, video, photography, graphics, experimental, mixed media or a mixture of them all.  She is a social media surgeon, runs support sessions on a regular basis for non-profit organisations, organises and attends a variety of geeky events. Liz is an advocate for open source technologies, and regularly speaks on Digital Technology and Women in Technology, at conferences across the globe.

Trainer/Owner of DigiEnable, a digital training company offering a wide range of fun and engaging workshops, which show that with the right support, technology is not as scary as some think it is. Specialising in making the digital world accessible to everyone.

Dates 2019: 5 September

Time: 10.00am - 5.00pm

Cost: BECTU members £90.00     non BECTU members £125.00

Book Your Place:  HERE

The Vocation training course privacy notice can be downloaded here


BECTU Sector Office
373-377 Clapham Road
London SW9 9BT


1 day


No qualification