Media Make up For Black & Asian Skins - 3 days
This 3-day course is part of a set of three modularised courses to address the lack of training for professional hair and make-up artists working in film & TV with BAME make-up and hair, and has been developed as a partnership between Equity, the actor's union, and BECTU, with support from the Union Learning Fund.
If you are not a BECTU member & would like to join it will make the course considerably cheaper, plus you will gain all the additional benefits of being a BECTU member. To find out more and join: www.bectu.org.uk/join
This course is for make-up artists already working in the industry but who want to learn how to use media make-up for darker skin tones. Whatever your creative background you will broaden your knowledge and skills over this in depth 3-day course.
Overview of health & safety requirements
Understanding of work etiquette and knowledge in working with darker skin tones
Develop your understanding of colour effects and tones for different skin types
Product knowledge and product availability (brands and retailers)
How different products affect black and Asian skin tones, particularly applications
Knowledge of selecting the correct products for correcting imperfections i.e. uneven skin tones
Colour knowledge of make-up for various period looks
Day 1 - Afro skin; Day 2 - South Asian skin; Day 3 - East Asian skin
Teaching and Learning Methods
- A combination of theory, demonstrations and practical sessions with live models
- All participants must bring their full kit, including skincare and grooming for each session. This is important as Kamanza will be able to advise you on which products and tools in your specific kit are best for future use
- Kamanza will also provide BECTU course delegates with some essential make-up and hair care products and tools needed for the course
Tutor: Kamanza Amihyia
Kamanza is a professionally qualified hair and make-up artist working within the TV, fashion, film, editorial, commercial, music touring, beauty and theatre industries. Originally, aged 17-years old, she trained in fashion design and illustration at the London College of Fashion, then Kamanza began to grow her passion for the overall improvement of the whole image, creating and expanding her knowledge by training and studying hairdressing. Kamanza then studied for a BA Hons in Business Marketing & Media Make-up.
As well as a global celebrity clientele Kamanza has over 20-year's experience in the creative industries. She travels internationally as both a hair and make-up artist and an educator specialising in Afro hair and media make-up for Afro-Caribbean, East & South Asian ethnicity skin tones. With her passion for teaching Kamanza has had the pleasure of teaching both pro and non-pro artists for the further education sector, Creative Media Skills, Bath Academy of Media Make-up, KulturAkademin (Gothenburg, Sweden) and Master Courses for Hollyoaks, English National Opera and BECTU.
You may be eligible for a ScreenSkills bursary through the Film Fund, HETV Fund or TV Diversity Fund for this course. Please apply directly to ScreenSkills and not BECTU. ScreenSkills will also be able to answer any queries you may have regarding your eligibiliy for the bursary.
We appreciate that when circumstances change you may no longer be able to attend a training course date you have already booked and paid for.
Whilst we will always try our best to accommodate any alterations to your plans, BECTU has a standard cancellation policy which is as follows:
- If you notify us (phone/email) 7 full days or longer before the scheduled course date you will not be charged and will be refunded in full any course fees you have paid.
- If you do not attend the course and/or fail to notify us in advance you will be charged the full course fee. * This is unless you can demonstrate to us extenuating circumstances.
- We are unable to reimburse any non-transferable travel or accommodation expenses that may arise from a course being re-scheduled or cancelled.
BECTU reserves the right to cancel courses without liability. However, where possible, delegates will be offered an alternative date or a full refund
Page last updated - Monday 18 February 2019
This 3 day course runs from 9.30am - 5.00pm each day with approx. 45-60 mins for lunch. (Lunch is not provided)