1 May 2012
BECTU improves its services for freelances today, 1 May, with the launch of a new public liability insurance policy (PLI) which delivers cover up to £10million per claim.
Existing and new freelance members can access the new policy by paying a fee of just £21.
The new policy doubles the previous level of cover and delivers the insurance at even lower cost than previous years (down from £23 per year).
Key features of the policy for 1 May 2012 - 30 April 2013 are:
- £10million upper limit on claims
- New custody and control provision which covers claims in respect of third party property up to £25K per claim (maximum £100K per member under this clause during the period of the policy)
- Lower excess, at £250, in respect of damage to third party property
- Cover available to members operating through their own company
- Cover available to special effects grades where recognised training has been undertaken.
More info on BECTU membership here. (NB: PLI cover is maintained subject to members maintaining their union subscriptions).
The new policy has been brokered by Hencilla Canworth Ltd.
"We are always looking to improve on the services provided to members and the PLI policy which comes into operation today is evidence of that; better cover at lower cost backed up by a committed support team at Hencilla," commented Martin Spence, assistant general secretary.
New pension scheme soon
Also set for launch soon is a new pension scheme designed for freelances which complies with legislation on auto-enrolment due to be introduced later this year. Follow @bectu for an alert when details are published.
Summary of benefits for freelances
A new booklet BECTU: Working for Freelances highlights the key benefits provided by BECTU to its freelance members. As well as low-cost PLI, these include support in chasing bad debts, representation on the range of employment issues, legal services, advice on copyright, a script registration service, training provision and discounts and networking events.
Query about this article? Contact us.