BECTU's news stories reflect the range of our activity. Our postings also reflect our wide industry interests and our position as part of the trade union movement in the UK and abroad. Our news archive can be accessed here.
- 2 September 2015 London Labour Film Festival opens 24 September
- The three-day event at the ArtHouse Cinema in Crouch End will celebrate workers through film screenings and stimulating Q&A sessions.
- 1 September 2015 TUC Congress 2015: BECTU’s motions
- Protecting the funding of the BBC and of the arts sector are long-standing priorities for BECTU; we'll be taking the issues to this year's TUC Congress which gets underway later this month.
- 20 August 2015 BECTU will be part of TheatreCraft 2015
BECTU is looking forward to being part of Theatrecraft 2015, as the event for upcoming theatre professionals celebrates its 10th year. Join us and a host of other industry folk at the Royal Opera House on Friday 20 November.
The organisers of the fair released the press release below last month.
- 19 August 2015 Appeal for career info on John 'Derek' Brady
- BECTU member John Brady (Sound branch) has advised us of the death of his father John Derek Brady; we send John and all the family our condolences. John's father was more usually known as Derek Brady. Derek passed away on 14 August 2015.
- 18 August 2015 Save the BBC: time to write to your MP
- If you value the BBC's output and the future good health of the Corporation, now's the time to put pen to paper. Please write to your MP to encourage him/her to recognise the real threat to the BBC posed, not least, by the back door licence fee settlement which will mean a £350m cut in the BBC's income if implemented.
- 14 August 2015 March with BECTU: 4 Oct Manchester
- The Tory government's continuing austerity plans will make life still harder for working people trying to build a future for themselves and their families. At the same time the government is attacking workers' rights through its latest Trade Union Bill.
- 11 August 2015 Labour leadership candidates speak on the creative industries
- What have the four Labour leadership candidates got to say about policy on the creative industries? In the latest issue of BECTU's journal Stage, Screen & Radio they each write on their ambitions for the sector.
- 10 August 2015 Find Your Future 2015: last few tickets!
- Bookings are continuing for the summer event for would-be apprentices and trainees in the creative sectors. Find Your Future happens on Wednesday 12 August in London. Please see below for more info.
- 5 August 2015 Royal Albert Hall staff vote for BECTU recognition
- Staff at the Royal Albert Hall have voted to have BECTU recognised for collective bargaining and representation. The results of the ballot, which was conducted by ACAS, were declared today (Wednesday 5 August).
- 31 July 2015 Rio members win legally binding agreement
- In March, BECTU members at the Rio Centre (Dalston) Limited went to the CAC (Central Arbitration Committee) and formally won the right to collective union representation for their chosen bargaining unit, covering all staff with the exception of the Chief Executive.