What’s happening in copyright?
Most copyright legislation starts life in Europe but from time to time the UK Government takes the initiative, for example, the Gowers Review of Intellectual Property.
Though Gowers started life in The Treasury, the lead department for copyright is UK-IPO, which in turn comes under the Department for Innovation Universities and Skills (DIUS). Other departments with an interest in copyright are BERR and Culture.
Within the European Union, the Directorate General with responsibility for copyright is DG Internal Market. DG Culture, DG Information Society and DG Competition also take an interest. At international level, Treaties are negotiated through the World Intellectual Property Organisation.
Six formal consultations are currently being processed and several other information consultations and initiatives due any time. BECTU will keep you updated on what is going on.
- The Artist’s Resale Right: Derogation for Deceased Artists Consultation on extending the UK’s derogation for deceased artists (i.e. non application of the right and non payment to artists’ heirs and estates) for a further two years. http://www.ipo.gov.uk/about/about-consult/about-formal/about-formal-current/consult-artist.htm Consultation closed 22 September 2008.
- Consultation on Legislative Options to address illicit P2P File-sharing Intended to encourage co-operation between ISPs and right holders to deal with the use of file sharing technology to exchange unlawful copies of copyright protected works. Follows on from R39 of Gowers. http://www.berr.gov.uk/consultations/page47141.html Consultation closed 30 October 2008.
- Proposed changes to Copyright Exemption in respect of Music Licensing S67-72 CDPA 1988. Existing exemption for sound recording to be reviewed. http://www.ipo.gov.uk/about/about-consult/about-formal/about-formal-current/consult-musiclicensing.htm Consultation closed 31 October 2008.
- Penalties for Copyright Infringement Proposal following on from R 36 of Gowers http://www.ipo.gov.uk/about/about-consult/about-formal/about-formal-current/consult-gowers36.htm Consultation closed 31 October 2008.
- Proposal for a Directive on the term of protection of copyright & certain related rights Extension of term of protection for musical performances. Also clarity on protection across Europe of co-written musical works http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/copyright/term-protection/term-protection_en.htm Consultation closed 30 November 2008.
- Green Paper: Copyright in the Knowledge Economy Intended as the starting point for a debate on the long-term future of copyright policy pointing to future challenges including exceptions to copyright, user created content and orphan works. http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/copyright/copyright-infso/copyright-infso_en.htm#greenpaper Consultation closed 30 November 2008.