BECTU's 2012 Annual Conference will take place at the Palace Hotel, Oxford Road, Manchester, M60 7HA on Saturday 26 May. (Some divisional conferences are scheduled to take place at the same venue on Sunday 27 May).
2012 marks BECTU's 21st anniversary year following the amalgamation of the ACTT and BECTU in February 1991.
Attached to this page for download by BECTU members are:
NEC's preliminary report - the draft report incorporates the propositions accepted for debate by the Standing Orders Committee.
Conference Document 3 which provides forms for reps to use to submit amendments to policy propositions and to indicate an intention to speak on specific paragraphs of the NEC's report. Branches choosing to use these forms must return them by 12 noon on Wednesday 28 March 2012.
(Please note this is also the deadline for the return of nomination forms for the election of a union trustee, appeals committee member and for the conference Standing Orders Committee. See below).
Conference Document 2 which provides further information on conference arrangements, the nomination of delegates, travel and accomodation. Also available for reps to download:
- Delegate nomination form
- Delegate nomination form (emailable version)
NB: Delegate nomination forms should be returned no later than Wednesday 11 April 2012.
Conference Document 1 which provides a comprehensive overview of arrangements for the 2012 event together with the forms reps should use to:
propose a policy proposition (deadline 12 noon, 8 February 2012)
nominate a trustee (deadline 12 noon, 28 March 2012)
nominate to the appeals committee (deadline 12 noon, 28 March 2012)
nominate to the standing orders committee (deadline 12 noon, 28 March 2012).
All conference documents are sent by post to branch secretaries; reps can also log in to the website to access the documents here. For reference, the union's rules can be viewed here.
NEC Elections - 2012 also sees elections for the NEC and the union's president for the 2012-2014 term. Nomination forms are attached to this page for download. The deadline for nominations is 12 noon on Thursday 1 March 2012. The results of these elections will be announced at the close of annual conference on Saturuday 26 May.
Key dates in the run up to conference 2012:
- Wednesday 8 February: closing date for receipt of policy propositions, by 12 noon
- Monday 13 February: issue of Conference Document 3 to include policy propositions and the NEC's preliminary report together with forms which reps should use to indicate a wish to speak on a given paragraph and to nominate delegates.
- Wednesday 28 March: closing date for receipt of amendments to proposed propositions, for giving notice of debate on paragraphs in the NEC's report and for nominations for the SOC, appeals committee and trustees' positions (nomination forms attached to this page).
- Wednesday 11 April: closing date for branches to confirm their delegates to ensure hotel and travel arrangements (note: this deadline is a hotel accomodation requirement; delegates workshop preferences should also be indicated).
- Wednesday 25 April: printed conference agenda sent to notified delegates and to branches (branch secretaries will receive extra copies for circulation within the branch).
- Saturday 26 May: Annual conference in Manchester.
All enquiries about conference arrangements should be sent to Tracey Hunt, administrative officer firstname.lastname@example.org
Report on 2011 conference:
Conference 2010 at the De Vere Royal Bath Hotel. Pic: Mark Dimmock
2009 highlight: general secretary, Gerry Morrissey, left, presents director, John Akomfrah, with honorary membership. Pic: Mark Dimmock
Conference 2009, Bournemouth in the sunshine Pic: Mark Dimmock